Main Event Prospectus 2017
Sunday, Oct 8 – Saturday, Oct 14, 2017
Welcome to our second annual Bluff Strokes Paint Out in historic Dubuque, Iowa.
Bluff Strokes is sponsored by Mississippi River Art Workshops, an affiliate of the Dubuque County Fine Arts Society.
- In the spirit of plein air, 95% of each artwork must be created on site.
- Painting Boundaries: Dubuque County
- Painting Times: Sunday, Oct 8 – Thursday, Oct 12, 2017
- The first 60 artists to register will be accepted. Official registration date will be the date checks are received.
- Entry Fee: $50 fee if postmarked by Sept 1 ($60 fee after Sept 1) entitles artist to participate in all events (Main, Quick Paint and Nocturne) as well as an artist apron and chili dinner at the Sponsor & Patron Party, Friday, Oct 13.
- Fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. Any fees received after the maximum number of artists will be refunded.
Check-in and Material Stamping
- Check-in: Sunday, Oct 8, 9 am – 4 pm; Anyone who cannot make it during this timeframe, please contact Jillayne at (712)203-0227 to make arrangements.
- Event headquarters: Steeple Square, 15th St and White St, Dubuque, IA 52001
- Painting materials MUST be stamped prior to starting to paint.
- Media may include: oils, acrylics, watercolors, pastels, and gouache.
- Each artist may submit (3) paintings up to 320 sq inches (ex. 16"x20") of canvas, paper, or board unframed. All work must be framed. Maximum frame width: 4 1/4 inches. Maximum mat width: 4 inches (watercolors).
- Friday, Oct 13 8am – 10am at Steeple Square, 15th and White St (scones and coffee will be provided!)
- Each painting must be signed, framed, mounted and securely wired for hanging. Please no alligator hangers.
- Check-in stamp must be visible on back of each painting.
- Each artist may submit three (3) paintings for the main event.
- Artists will fill out a card at submission (also included in Artist Packet) with artist’s name, city and state, title of artwork, medium, and retail price. Prices may not be changed after submission. Filling these out ahead of time will make the morning go more smoothly - thank you!
- Three (3) replacement paintings created during the Main Event will be accepted.
- Each painting must be in its own flat box, marked clearly with artist's information, which will be returned.
- When a painting is sold, a replacement painting (in order of request 1/3, 2/3, 3/3) will be hung in its' place, as space allows.
- All initial submission requirements apply.
- Bluff Strokes will retain a 25% commission on all painting sales.
- Artist payments will be mailed to the address provided.
- Off-Easel Sales – please respect the efforts of this all-volunteer event by writing a check for 25% for any off-easel purchases by Oct 14th.
- Friday, Oct 13 - Winners will be announced at 5pm.
Our Juror is Stuart Fullerton who grew up in north central Wisconsin and studied ancient Greek and Latin at Harvard College. After a year studying archeology in Greece and Turkey, he returned to Harvard for law school.
Today Stuart works and paints in Chicago. He is a long-time member of the Palette and Chisel Club and of the Plein Air Painters of Chicago.
Stuart has been accepted into juried shows such as the Oil Painters of America National Exhibition, Salon International, the American Impressionist Society National Show, the OPA Eastern Regional Exhibition, and the Bosque Art Classic. He has been invited to take part in the Door County Plein Air Festival, the Carmel Plein Air Festival, and others. Stuart is a member of the board of directors of the Oil Painters of America and of the Palette and Chisel Club.
- We will award approximately $10,000 in prizes. Best of Show Purchase Award: $2,000 - 1st Place: $1,000 - 2nd Place: $750 - 3rd Place: $500 Other categories TBD
Painting Pick Up
- Unsold paintings may be picked up on Saturday, Oct 14, 7:30pm–9pm, and Sunday, Oct 15, 8am-10am. If you are not available to pick up the paintings, please provide pre-paid mailing boxes with the address clearly marked and we will mail them to you.
- The artist agrees to bear all risk and expense for any injury to his or her person, and for any loss, theft or damage to his or her artwork or other personal property. The artist agrees to be responsible for insuring his or her artwork and for all necessary shipping charges.
Limited housing is available at Clarke University for $20/bed/night/person. Bed linens are NOT provided. Bathrooms are shared (separate men's and women's). Please include a deposit of $40 made out to "Bluff Strokes" to reserve your spot. Checks will be returned if rooms are all filled.
Miller Riverview Park and Campground is a beautiful campground located on the Mississippi River within a few minutes of Steeple Square and downtown Dubuque. Information and registration here: http://www.cityofdubuque.org/1133/Miller-Riverview-Park-Campgroundwww.Traveldubuque.com has many other options listed on their website.
For registration questions, contact Morgan at firstname.lastname@example.org.